Friday, October 1, 2010

Excel Project

While working on the Microsoft Excel project for this class, I started to slowing but surely understand a lot of the concepts that were once foreign to me that I spoke about in my previous blog post.

After completing the project, I am now capable of doing the following things on my own:
  • Understand and navigate the three dimensions of an Excel workbook
  • Enter, edit and format data
  • Format and print worksheets
  • Use arithmetic operators to create formulas
  • Use absolute and relative cell references appropriately
  • Use selected general-purpose functions fluently
  • Find and learn to use more advanced/specialized functions when needed
  • Create and use pivot tables
  • Use built in help to improve Excel skills
While doing the project, I realized how efficient Excel could actually be. I think the best thing that came out of this project was me learning how to use the pivot tables. It was truly amazing to me how Excel could automatically sift through a large amount of data and make sense of it all after a couple of clicks.  I was very proud of myself once I figured out how to create target heart rate percentages and target rates achieved. Two weeks ago, I would have never been able to tell you how to convert raw data in averages or percentages, but now I am able to do it with just a click on my mouse.

Avg Increase
The one thing that I continue to struggle with, however, is learning how to manipulate Excel 2007 on my Mac computer. After watching the lectures, I noticed that the professor used a Microsoft computer. In the beginning it was quite difficult to figure out how to apply the same concepts on my personal computer. But after figuring out how to use the wizzard, I was able to do the exact same thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment